- Cooking Time: 75
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 (1 lb) kielbasa, link
- 3 1/2 quarts water
- 3 lbs potatoes, cubed
- good quality vinegar, to taste (*)
- salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold water
- hard-boiled eggs (one for each bowl of soup)
- Boil kielbasa link in 3 quarts of water, occasionally piercing it to release juices, for 30-45 minutes.
- While kielbasa is cooking, peel and dice potatoes and boil eggs to hard-boiled stage.
- Keep potatoes in cold water in bowl after rinsing them well.
- Cool eggs in cold water before peeling.
- Remove kielbasa from water.
- Drain and add cut up potatoes to the water in which you cooked the kielbasa.
- Add salt and cook.
- When potatoes are done, add pepper and add vinegar to taste.
- *Don't use balsamic vinegar.
- To thicken soup, add flour to cold water in a jar with lid or shaker.
- Shake vigorously to combine.
- Add to simmering soup through a fine strainer to remove any lumps.
- Stir to incorporate.
- Simmer a few minutes to slightly thicken soup.
- Adjust seasonings at this point. More vinegar? More thickening?.
- When ready to serve, slice kielbasa, approx 1/4-inch slices.
- Add some to each soup bowl with one chopped egg.
- Ladle in broth with potatoes.
- Serve with a good thick-crusted bread like Polish sisel bread.
- At Easter when there is baked ham we add pieces of chopped ham, and, of course, a dollop of horseradish(white)!
NotesThis is the soup we referred to as borscht. It wasn't until I was full grown that I found out it isn't referred to as borscht by anybody else! LOL This, like all other soups, tastes better reheated. When storing this soup, keep broth and potatoes in one container, kielbasa in another, and hardboiled eggs separately from both. I couldn't put number of servings because it depends on your appetite!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
I Got Baked: Introducing Cookbook Cafe
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Chocolate Eclair Cake
Sara Lee® Fruity Breakfast Bread Spreads
Triple Chocolate Chunk CookiesSee More