MY ROASTED TURKEY BARLEY SOUP
My Roasted Turkey Barley Soup
- Cooking Time: all day
- Preparation Time: 30 - 45 mins
- 1 Turkey Carcass leftover from Thanksgiving (if not doing this the next day, you can freeze it until its more convenient.) Leave on what ever scraps that you won't be using for sandwiches and other leftovers.
- 2 ea largely chopped up carrots, onions and celery
- Garlic, Salt, Pepper, Parsley, Oregano, bay leaves, thyme
- Veggies such as carrots, celery, onions, corn, zucchini, turnips, etc
- Seasonings such as garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, rosemary, cumin, celery seed, marjoram, and what ever else is your favorite.
- 2 cups or so of chopped turkey
- 1/2 cup or so of barley
Preheat oven to 450'
Place turkey carcass into a large baking dish and cook in the oven for about an hour. Add carrots, onions and celery and continue cooking for another 30 minutes, until everything is nice and brown.
Put everything into a large stock pot and cover with water. Add garlic, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, bay leaves, thyme to the water. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain the simmer without boiling. Continue to simmer for about 4 hours, adding water as needed.
Let cool for a bit (about 30 - 45 mins) then strain the broth into a large pot, removing everything (bones, roasted veggies etc). Discard everything that was strained from the broth.
You can either continue simmering the broth to reduce it, let it cool and freeze or add the veggies for your soup along with the seasonings and chopped turkey. You should test your broth and adjust your seasoning throughout this cooking process. Simmer for about 30 mins. Add the barley and continue simmering for another 45 minutes or according to package directions, until barley is cooked and veggies are tender.
Serve with a nice rustic slice of bread.