- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 Cup onion, finely diced
- 1 Cup celery, finely diced
- salt pork, finely chopped and browned
- 1 stick margarine or butter
- 1 Cup flour
- 5 Cups bottled clam juice
- 3 cans (6 1⁄2 oz) chopped clams
- 8 oz. cooked potatoes, cut in 3⁄4 in cubes
- 1 Cup half and half
- 1 tsp. salt
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large thick bottomed pan, heat clam juice.
- In a separate pan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Add celery and onions that have been finely chopped, and sauté until they appear translucent – about 3 minutes.
- Add salt pork and flour and stir continuously for another 5 minutes.
- This mixture is your roux; it will be added to the liquid to thicken your chowder.
- Be sure not to leave roux unattended as it must constantly be stirred to avoid burning.
- Increase heat on clam juice to medium high and with a wire whisk, add roux mixture to liquid.
- Stir constantly to break up any lumps that may form.
- Add clams and the liquid they are in to chowder and stir.
- Chop potatoes coarsely and add to chowder.
- Add half and half and stir.
- Add salt.
- Decrease heat to medium low and allow to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring very frequently.
NotesThis is my all time favorite soup. If I am buying canned I like the Progresso brand.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Short & Sweet
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!See More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More