- Cooking Time:
- Servings: Makes about 12 cups
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryReprinted from Celi-Yak News - Spring 2011
Use your favorite gluten-free sandwich- style bread to make the bread cubes in this tasty turkey stuffing. It can be made egg free with good results. For dairy-free stuffing, use dairy-free bread.
- 10 cups gluten-free bread cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 apples, peeled and chopped
- 4 chicken-apple sausages or other sausages, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1½ cups gluten-free chicken stock
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread bread cubes on cookie sheets in a single layer and bake in oven until cubes are dry, about 15 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat oil and sauté onion and celery until soft. Add apples and sausages and sauté until apples are soft, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine bread cubes, onion mixture and remaining
- Mix until bread is thoroughly moistened.
- Place stuffing into a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Bake covered in a 350-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue baking to let stuffing brown, about 10 minutes. Alternatively, place stuffing into turkey cavity, lightly packed, and cook according to weight of the bird.