- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: Varies
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups nuts
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- Use candy thermometer
- Heat and stir sugar, syrup and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan until the sugar dissolves.
- Cook over medium heat to soft ball stage (234 degrees).
- Add nuts at 250 degrees.
- Cook to hard crack stage (290 degrees), stirring often.
- Remove from heat.
- Quickly, stir in butter and soda.
- Beat to a froth for a few seconds.
- Pour at once onto 2 well-buttered 15-1/2x10-1/2x1-inch pans or a non-stick silicon mat, spreading with spatula.
- If desired, cool slightly and pull with forks to stretch thin.
- Break up when cold.
- Yield: About 1-1/2 pounds of brittle
NotesThis has been in the family since before my time. Use any kind of nuts you want. I usually use a can of fancy mixed nuts.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More