- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
Backstory"Chock-full of nuts, these crunchy scones are a great addition to any breakfast."
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. coarsely chopped assorted nuts such as a combination of cashews, pecans, Brazil nuts, walnuts and toasted almonds. (see Note)
- 1/2 c. chopped dried apricots or papaya
- 1/4 c. shredded coconut
- 1 egg white mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Butter a 10" diameter circle in center of prepared baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. n small bowl stir together eggs, milk and vanilla. Add egg mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky. With lightly floured hands, knead in the nuts, apricots and coconut 'til they are evenly distributed.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. If desired brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20-25 min. or 'til cake tester or toothpick inserted into center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 10 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container. Recut wedges if necessary.
- These scones freeze well.
- Note: For best results use at least 4 types of assorted nuts in the recipe. Some may be lightly salted. To toast almonds, place in single layer on baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Bake at 350º for 6-7 min. stirring once or twice, 'til lightly browned.