- Cooking Time: 25 min
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 20 min
- Cake - 4 oz unsweetened chocolate bar
- 1 c packed brown sugar (we prefer dark)
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 c light cream
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 c flour
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 t salt
- 1/4 c water
- 1 t vanilla
- Choc Filling -
- 3 oz unsweetened chocolate bar
- 1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/4 c butter
- 1 egg yolk,beaten
- In small sauce pan over low heat, combine chocolate, brown sugar, 1 egg yolk, and 1/2 c of cream.
- Stir frequently until smooth, about 7 min. Cool to lukewarm temp.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Gradually beat
- In white sugar, remaining 2 egg yolks one at a time beating well after each addition. add remaining 1/2 c cream, water and vanilla.
- In smaller bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add flour mixture alternately with cream mixture.
- Stir in chocolate mixture and set aside.
- Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry and fold into batter.
- Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9 in round cake pans
- Bake 375 degrees for 25 min. Cool cakes 10 min in pan, remove from pan to cooling rack and completely cool.
- Chocolate Filling -
- Heat chocolate and condensed milk in top of double boiler. Cook over boiling water until smooth, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in butter and egg yolks until thick and smooth. Cool to lukewarm and spread between layer of cake and on top. Frost with chocolate or white butter cream frosting.
NotesThis was a family recipe that came from my great grandmother Essie who passed it down to my grandmother who we call Nana. This cake was most requested for birthdays, Thanksgiving and Easter dinners. I hope you enjoy it, we ALWAYS do!
Submitted by: "Angela Norris"
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.
Cooking for a Cure
Noshing with NOCALL: Recipe Pathfinders of the Northern California Association of Law LibrariesSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More