- Cooking Time: 15-20
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryMy father was a staunch republican and my mother a left-of-liberal democrat. They didn't talk much about politics when I was growing up, but they did make funny little digs at each other. One of my dad's favorites was to make these cookies; he claims to have found the recipe in a magazine when Nancy Reagan was first lady. They're super-delicious and impossible to refuse. My mother always declared, "That woman never baked a cookie in her life," as she reached for one. I ended up a liberal democrat who hangs out with other democrats. There's something really ironic and funny about bringing these cookies to gatherings with my liberal friends.
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup flour
- 7 oz. sweetened coconut (I use Baker's
- Beat eggwhites, vanilla and sugar together until fluffy. Add flour and beat some more. Fold in coconut.
- Drop by a tablespoon onto a foil-covered cookie sheet (thermal ones don't work so well, use your old single layer metal ones).
- Bake at 325º for 15-20 minutes, until nicely browned. Wait until completely cooled before peeling them from the foil.
- For added delight, dip into melted chocolate, then cool in fridge.