- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1 - 1.5 quarts
- Preparation Time:
- 1 small to medium head napa cabbage, halved crosswise, halves sliced lengthwise into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 20 slices peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup Korean chile powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (1-inch) scallion pieces
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot pieces
- Place cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar and salt over it. Transfer bowl to refrigerator; refrigerate overnight.
- Place garlic and ginger in the bowl of a small food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer garlic and ginger to a large bowl, along with chile powder, fish sauce, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar; stir to combine.
- Mixture should resemble the texture of a creamy salad dressing. If mixture is too thick, stir in 1/3 cup of water.
- Add scallion, carrots, and cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
- Cover and transfer to refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Kimchi gets better as it ages and is at its peak after 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- It is best eaten within one month.
NotesDavid Chang's recipe - via martha stewart website
modified to take out shrimp (allergic)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Mrs. Claus Cooks for Holiday Entertaining
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Cancun Grilled Chicken Tacos with Citrus Chile Marinade
Perfect baked potatoSee More