NAPA CABBAGE KIMCHI
- Servings: 1 - 1.5 quarts
- 1 small to medium head napa cabbage, halved crosswise, halves sliced lengthwise into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 20 slices peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup Korean chile powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (1-inch) scallion pieces
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot pieces
Place cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar and salt over it. Transfer bowl to refrigerator; refrigerate overnight.
Place garlic and ginger in the bowl of a small food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
Transfer garlic and ginger to a large bowl, along with chile powder, fish sauce, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar; stir to combine.
Mixture should resemble the texture of a creamy salad dressing. If mixture is too thick, stir in 1/3 cup of water.
Add scallion, carrots, and cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
Cover and transfer to refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
Kimchi gets better as it ages and is at its peak after 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
It is best eaten within one month.
modified to take out shrimp (allergic)
Website Credit: http://www.marthastewart.com