- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 1 - 1.5 quarts
- Preparation Time:
- 1 small to medium head napa cabbage, halved crosswise, halves sliced lengthwise into 1-inch-thick pieces
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt
- 20 cloves garlic, peeled
- 20 slices peeled ginger
- 1/2 cup Korean chile powder
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (1-inch) scallion pieces
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot pieces
- Place cabbage in a large bowl and sprinkle 2 teaspoons sugar and salt over it. Transfer bowl to refrigerator; refrigerate overnight.
- Place garlic and ginger in the bowl of a small food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer garlic and ginger to a large bowl, along with chile powder, fish sauce, soy sauce, and remaining 1/2 cup sugar; stir to combine.
- Mixture should resemble the texture of a creamy salad dressing. If mixture is too thick, stir in 1/3 cup of water.
- Add scallion, carrots, and cabbage mixture; toss to combine.
- Cover and transfer to refrigerator for at least 24 hours.
- Kimchi gets better as it ages and is at its peak after 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- It is best eaten within one month.
NotesDavid Chang's recipe - via martha stewart website
modified to take out shrimp (allergic)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Basic Blends: Healthy Juicing Recipes
Recipes for Vitality
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More