- Cooking Time: 15 - 20 mins.
- Servings: varries
- Preparation Time: 5 mins.
- *the amounts are at your discretion; use how much you need at the time.
- Bacon (use any flavor that you prefer, just make sure it's real bacon - nothing that you would microwave!)
- Onion (white are the best for this recipe)
- Garlic (just one or two large cloves)
- Hot Peppers (the smaller the better; again, use at your discretion)
- Black Beans, canned (drain some of the goo they come in, but leave a little for cooking)
- Tomato (two medium-sized is a good number)
- Hot Pepper Flakes (just a few shakes from the canister)
- Cumin (a healthy dose)
- Lime (just one is enough)
- Cilantro, chopped (a small handful for two servings is enough; if you abhor cilantro you could try some fresh flat-leaf parsley)
- Set a large, deep pan over a medium-high flame.
- Chop the bacon into smallish squares and add to the pan.
- Cook until crispy. Remove bacon to another bowl, to reserve for later.
- Leave the fat in the pan but turn down the heat to medium. Add the onion, salt and pepper. Cook until nice and caramelized. Add the garlic and hot peppers.
- When mixture is done, add the tomatoes, hot pepper flakes and cumin. Turn down the heat to medium-low and add the beans.
- Simmer until everything is heated through and the whole dish is a little thick.
- Plate into deep bowls and garnish with the reserved bacon and chopped cilantro.
NotesBlack beans are a favorite staple in the "bat cave" and I often try out new flavor combos with these sturdy little gems. Last night I cooked up a batch for dinner and my boyfriend immediately christened them "Naughty Beans." He says it's naughty how yummy I can make beans. I hope you like them too!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Holidays = Desserts = HappinessSee More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More