- Cooking Time: 2 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 8 oz. part skim ricotta cheese
- 4 oz. light sour cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange or lemon zest
- 1 pound cake
- 1 cup fresh berries (I used raspberries and blackberries)
- optional: 2 Tablespoons chopped pistachios
- Put ricotta and sour cream in medium mixing bowl
- Using whisk attachment, mix with electric mixer until well mixed.
- Add sugar, vanilla and zest; mix well.
- Fold in chopped pistachios, if using.
- Cut pound cake into 1/2 inch slices and toast in toaster or oven.
- Top each slice with a good dollop of cream.
- Sprinkle with berries and serve.
- *Note: replace sour cream with mascarpone for an authentic cannoli cream.
- **Variation: eliminate pound cake; spoon cream into parfait glass and top with berries.
NotesI made this for dessert tonight; I wanted something that looks fancy but was easy to prepare. I made this dessert "light" by using part skim ricotta, and using light sour cream instead of mascarpone. I got the basic recipe from the August issue of Cookie magazine (a moms' magazine) but made some changes to use what I had in my fridge. It's still yummy!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie TreatsSee More
Prickly Pear Margarita
Creamy Candy Bar Dessert
Hector's HurricanesSee More