- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1/2 c corn syrup
- 2 c softened butter (I actually used 2 tbs less than that)
- flavoring (vanilla, melted chocolate, coffee flavoring, almond extract, pistachio or hazelnut paste)
- Have ready a greased 1 c heatproof glass measure nearby.
- Beat the yolks with an electric mixer until light in color.
- Meanwhile, combine the sugar and corn syrup in a (preferably nonstick) saucepan and heat stirring constantly, until the sugar dissolves and the syrup comes to a rolling boil. (If you stop short of that, the buttercream will be too thin.)
- Immediately transfer syrup to the glass measure to stop the cooking.
- If using an electric hand-held mixer, beat the syrup into the yolks in a steady stream. (Avoid the beaters, because they will spin it to the sides of the bowl.)
- Use a spatula to remove the end of the syrup clinging to the glass measure into the mixing bowl. (You will wish you had 2 pairs of hands while doing all this.)
- Continue beating until completely cool.
- Gradually beat in butter.
- Do not despair if it looks very thin in the beginning.
- The buttercream will reach the desired consistency toward the end. Beat in flavoring until combined.
- This buttercream can be refrigerated or frozen.
- To use refrigerated buttercream, wait until it comes to room temperature and re-beat to restore texture.
- If you beat it while is cold it will break down and be ruined.
NotesAdapted from The Cake Bible
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink Recipes
Delicious Recipes Made Easy
Hemp Healthy Cooking: Hemp for BreakfastSee More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More