- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sugar (white)
- 2 cups water (distilled or purified)
- 1/8th tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the first four ingredients.
- Cover and boil for five minutes.
- Uncover and boil without stirring, to soft ball stage.
- When it reaches soft ball stage, remove immediately from heat and pour slowly over the stiffly beaten egg whites, mixing as you pour-
- You will probably need help with this step, its a two person job to make it go smoothly.
- Add the vanilla and beat until it holds a firm shape when dropped from a spoon onto waxed paper.
- Drop by tablespoon onto a waxed paper placed on a cookie sheet.
- You can add other flavors to this but be very conservative with them as this tends to pick up and magnify flavor.
- I use almond extract occasionally but only use a quarter tsp in addition to the vanilla.
- If you can find chocolate essence it makes a terrific change. 1/2 tsp suffices.
NotesMy mother used this recipe to make Sea Foam. I believe she got it from an acquaintence in California but I haven't any idea who. I know she used it over 40 years ago.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
50 Shades of Taste
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
Taste of CenturyLinkSee More
Julia Child's Supremes de Volaille Archiduc
Chicken MoleSee More