- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups sugar (white)
- 2 cups water (distilled or purified)
- 1/8th tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites, stiffly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix the first four ingredients.
- Cover and boil for five minutes.
- Uncover and boil without stirring, to soft ball stage.
- When it reaches soft ball stage, remove immediately from heat and pour slowly over the stiffly beaten egg whites, mixing as you pour-
- You will probably need help with this step, its a two person job to make it go smoothly.
- Add the vanilla and beat until it holds a firm shape when dropped from a spoon onto waxed paper.
- Drop by tablespoon onto a waxed paper placed on a cookie sheet.
- You can add other flavors to this but be very conservative with them as this tends to pick up and magnify flavor.
- I use almond extract occasionally but only use a quarter tsp in addition to the vanilla.
- If you can find chocolate essence it makes a terrific change. 1/2 tsp suffices.
NotesMy mother used this recipe to make Sea Foam. I believe she got it from an acquaintence in California but I haven't any idea who. I know she used it over 40 years ago.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking with Sabra
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
YummyMix.com's Blended Drink RecipesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More