- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Few grains salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar or 1 1/2 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over boiling water, beating constantly with a rotary egg beater.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until mixture holds a point when beater is lifted.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and continue beating until cool enough to spread.
- Will frost tops and sides of 2 (9 in.) layers.
- Lemon - Use lemon juice instead of 2 tbsps. of water, omit cream of tartar and vanilla and add 1/4 tsp. grated lemon rind.
- Orange - Use only 1/4 c. of water. Use juice and rind of 1/2 orange instead of vanilla.
- Peppermint - Flavor with a few drops of oil of peppermint instead of vanilla, and when frosting on cake is cold but still soft, make a 1- inch border of chocolate flakes around top of cake. Make flakes by scraping bitter choclate with a knife.
- Caramel - Use brown sugar in place of granulated
- Chocolate - Stir 2 squares of chocolate, melted, into icing just before spreading on cake
NotesMy Mom used this icing a lot when I was growing up. Looking through a 1940, Culinary Arts Institute cookbook, I came across it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Fun appetizers and snacks
Summertime SippersSee More
GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR BLEND
Peanut Butter Cups
White Chocolate and Cranberry CookiesSee More