- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- Few grains salt
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar or 1 1/2 tsp corn syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients except vanilla in the top of a double boiler.
- Cook over boiling water, beating constantly with a rotary egg beater.
- Cook for 7 minutes, or until mixture holds a point when beater is lifted.
- Remove from heat, add vanilla and continue beating until cool enough to spread.
- Will frost tops and sides of 2 (9 in.) layers.
- Lemon - Use lemon juice instead of 2 tbsps. of water, omit cream of tartar and vanilla and add 1/4 tsp. grated lemon rind.
- Orange - Use only 1/4 c. of water. Use juice and rind of 1/2 orange instead of vanilla.
- Peppermint - Flavor with a few drops of oil of peppermint instead of vanilla, and when frosting on cake is cold but still soft, make a 1- inch border of chocolate flakes around top of cake. Make flakes by scraping bitter choclate with a knife.
- Caramel - Use brown sugar in place of granulated
- Chocolate - Stir 2 squares of chocolate, melted, into icing just before spreading on cake
NotesMy Mom used this icing a lot when I was growing up. Looking through a 1940, Culinary Arts Institute cookbook, I came across it.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Thomas' English Muffin Clone
Black Bean SoupSee More