- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb. shortening, at room temp.
- 5 cups flour, sifted
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 egg
- cold water
- 1 tsp. vinegar
- Cut shortening into flour, baking powder & salt with a pastry cutter.
- Continue until pieces are the size of large rice.
- Whisk egg in a clear measuring cup.
- Fill to 3/4 cup mark with cold water.
- Whisk again.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture.
- Mix with a fork and then with your hands. Don't overwork (work until it all sticks together).
- Makes enough crust for 3 - 4 double crust pies.
- Divide dough into 6 or 8 balls.
- Freezes well wrapped in plastic wrap.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More