- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time:
- 6 TB olive oil, divided
- 2 lbs boneless pork loin, cut into 2" cubes (I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs)
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 TB minced garlic
- 1/4 cup masa harina
- 3 cups beef broth (I used chicken broth)
- 1 TB ground cumin
- 1 TB ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground oregano, Mexican oregano if possible
- 3 cups Hatch green chilies, roasted, peeled, stemmed and *seeded (I used a combination of Hatch, Anaheim and canned)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *if you like heat, leave the seeds in.
- In a large, heavy bottomed pot such as a dutch oven or bean pot, heat 3 TB of olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches so that the meat is in a single layer, brown all sides of your meat. Remove from pot and set aside. Continue until you have all the meat browned.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions to the now empty pot. Cook until tender, caramelized and very fragrant, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and stir for 2 minutes. Add the masa harina and the remaining 3 TB of olive oil, stirring together and cooking for an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the broth, de-glazing the pan if necessary. Add the cumin, coriander, oregano, chilies and chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 - 50 minutes. If you find that the pot is too hot for a simmer, pull the lid slightly to side to allow a crack for some of the heat to escape while cooking.
- Stew is done when the meat is tender and the stew has thickened. It will thicken more as it cools. Season with salt and pepper to taste. I did add some salt but I didn't think it needed the pepper.
- To serve, place Navajo Fry Bread on a place and top with the stew
- Garnish if desired. I used Queso Fresco. Avocados and cilantro would also be wonderful choices
NotesA delicious stew from Megan Micozzi of ScarlettaBakes.com cookbook, The New Southwest.
I made the recipe with chicken instead of pork. Great stew! Find the recipe for Navajo Fry Bread here: http://www.bakespace.com/recipes/print/Navajo-Fry-Bread/56389/
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Secret Life of Bees: Cooking Your Way Through College
Jean’s Recipe FileSee More
Roasted Butternut Bisque with Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Julia's Fudge Puddles (Modified from allrecipes.com)
Seven More SinsSee More