- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 T fat (oil / lard / bacon drippings)
- 1 Chicken, cut up and/or boned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 lbs. Andouille OR smoked sausage
- 1 C Fat (oil / lard / bacon drippings)
- 1 C flour
- 4 C chopped onions
- 2 C chopped celery
- 2 C chopped green pepper
- 2 T minced garlic
- 8 C stock or well flavored water
- Cajun seasoning to taste ( they recommend Joe’s Stuff - I use Paul Prudholmes Cajun spice)
- 2 C chopped green onions
- To add at the table as desired:
- Filé (¼ - ½ tsp per serving)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan brown sausage and chicken. Remove from pot and clean pan well with a paper towel…all debris from meat must be removed to make the roux. (to prevent burning)
- Make roux from equal parts fat and flour…medium heat, stir continuously to desired color…You’re looking for an oak color.
- Add onions, celery and peppers to roux and continue stirring for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue stirring - 2 more minutes - onions should be transparent.
- Add chicken and sausage back into pot, cook with veggies about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Taste, add Cajun spice, simmer 15 minutes and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Add green onions, turn off heat, cover pot with lid or foil, let sit on stove 10 minutes.
- Gumbo may be served over rice or be served without rice. The addition of sherry and/or Filé is optional, per diner, at the table
NotesMany years ago, in New Orleans, there was the Louisiana General Store and New Orleans School of Cooking. For a fair fee, you could attend a 4 hour course in the fine art of Louisiana cooking and enjoy the fruits of your labor for lunch…Specifically, in our case, Gumbo, Pralines and the best Bread Pudding I have ever put in my mouth. I will post all 3 recipes for you to enjoy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Classic Chocolate Recipes
Food Travels Through ItalySee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More