- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 T fat (oil / lard / bacon drippings)
- 1 Chicken, cut up and/or boned
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1.5 lbs. Andouille OR smoked sausage
- 1 C Fat (oil / lard / bacon drippings)
- 1 C flour
- 4 C chopped onions
- 2 C chopped celery
- 2 C chopped green pepper
- 2 T minced garlic
- 8 C stock or well flavored water
- Cajun seasoning to taste ( they recommend Joe’s Stuff - I use Paul Prudholmes Cajun spice)
- 2 C chopped green onions
- To add at the table as desired:
- Filé (¼ - ½ tsp per serving)
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a large sauté pan brown sausage and chicken. Remove from pot and clean pan well with a paper towel…all debris from meat must be removed to make the roux. (to prevent burning)
- Make roux from equal parts fat and flour…medium heat, stir continuously to desired color…You’re looking for an oak color.
- Add onions, celery and peppers to roux and continue stirring for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and continue stirring - 2 more minutes - onions should be transparent.
- Add chicken and sausage back into pot, cook with veggies about 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Gradually stir in stock (or water) and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook for 1 hour.
- Taste, add Cajun spice, simmer 15 minutes and taste to adjust seasonings.
- Add green onions, turn off heat, cover pot with lid or foil, let sit on stove 10 minutes.
- Gumbo may be served over rice or be served without rice. The addition of sherry and/or Filé is optional, per diner, at the table
NotesMany years ago, in New Orleans, there was the Louisiana General Store and New Orleans School of Cooking. For a fair fee, you could attend a 4 hour course in the fine art of Louisiana cooking and enjoy the fruits of your labor for lunch…Specifically, in our case, Gumbo, Pralines and the best Bread Pudding I have ever put in my mouth. I will post all 3 recipes for you to enjoy.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Naked Macaron
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at Pesah
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day FeastSee More
Old Fashioned Railroad Navy Bean Soup
Rice A Roni Meatballs
Homemade Vanilla ExtractSee More