- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls. honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugars, eggs, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in oats, cranberries, and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with Reynold's parchment paper.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake.
- * For a heartier cookie, try whole wheat flour!
NotesWhen my nephew started preschool this year, my sister and I wanted to create some snacks that were healthier than the usual cookies for his lunchbag. We decreased the sugar and shortening, added applesauce and cranberries, and they are delicious. It's a healthier cookie that isn't too sweet; great for kids of all ages!
Amsterdam Friends Cookbook
Sauce du Jour Culinary Institution: where every crazy chef gets a sharp knife
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at HomeSee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More