- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls. honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugars, eggs, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in oats, cranberries, and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with Reynold's parchment paper.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake.
- * For a heartier cookie, try whole wheat flour!
NotesWhen my nephew started preschool this year, my sister and I wanted to create some snacks that were healthier than the usual cookies for his lunchbag. We decreased the sugar and shortening, added applesauce and cranberries, and they are delicious. It's a healthier cookie that isn't too sweet; great for kids of all ages!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Classic Chocolate Recipes Elevated
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
The Social CookbookSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More