- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup butter flavored shortening
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tbls. honey
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, sugars, eggs, honey, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt; stir into the sugar mixture. Stir in oats, cranberries, and nuts. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets lined with Reynold's parchment paper.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes until light and golden. Do not overbake.
- * For a heartier cookie, try whole wheat flour!
NotesWhen my nephew started preschool this year, my sister and I wanted to create some snacks that were healthier than the usual cookies for his lunchbag. We decreased the sugar and shortening, added applesauce and cranberries, and they are delicious. It's a healthier cookie that isn't too sweet; great for kids of all ages!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcake Wars Winning Blueberry Pancake Cupcake Recipe
Cooking for a Cure
Baby Food: Baby's First Solid FoodsSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More