Nicole's Favourite Caramelised Shallots and Parmigiano Muffins
Why I Love This Recipe
Breakfast IS my favourite meal of the day.
I could have breakfast all day long if it was for me. So one day, after work, I decided to come up with some breakfast-like food for myself and my lovely man to have for dinner.
The ingredients combination provides a lovely and sophisticated final result, to be served as aperitivo (before your meal, cut in fours) or as main course with a side.
Ingredients You'll Need
- 130 gr spelt flower
- 1 full egg
- 2 shallots
- Parmigiano: as much as you like, depending on your preference. I personally grate about 50-60 gr
- Salt & pepper
- 2 spoons of brown sugar
- 1 spoon of extra virgin olive oil
Switch on your oven and pre-heat it at 180'
You should first start from your mise-en-place
1) Cut the shallots until when they are very thinly diced
2) Grate the parmigiano
3) Beat the egg
Then, to caramelize the shallots:
1) heat a pan with one spoon of extra virgin olive oil until you can see it spreading all over
2) pour the diced shallots and let it fry for a couple of minutes
3) add the brown sugar and let it caramelize on the shallots
You know they are ready because of the glazy dark brown colour they assume!
Now, muffins' time:
1) add the flower to the beaten egg, and beat the ensemble making sure the texture is smooth
2) add parmigiano, salt & pepper
3) add the caramelized shallots
4) beat some more
1) Grease your muffin pan with a tiny bit of olive oil
2) Pour it - you should get around 6 servings
3) add a tiny bit of parmigiano on top
4) Place it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes
Sides that go great with these savoury muffins:
- Fresh boiled spinach with a dash of extra virgin olive oil and parmigiano
- Wild rice and cherry tomatoes
- Braised aubergine
- Strir-fried courgettes