- Cooking Time:
- Servings: serves 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large calf's kidneys
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cup stock
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices stale whole grain bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup regular bread crumbs
- Oil for for frying
- Wash and clean the kidneys thoroughly.
- Parboil in water for 1 minute; discard water. Chop kidneys very fine.
- Sauté onions in the butter, add kidneys before the onions brown.
- Add salt and continue frying until light brown.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and gradually add the stock.
- Cover and allow to simmer very slowly for 15 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire and pepper.
- Taste and set aside to cool.
- Cut bread slices in half; Place a heap of kidney mixture on 8 half slices of bread and cover with the other half.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Stand the nierenbroodjes in the bowl; baste thoroughly.
- Coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry in deep fryer at 360º - 370ºF (180ºC) and fry the savories until golden brown.
- Smaaklijk Eten!
NotesThis recipe was given to us by one of our friends who owns a Dutch restaurant in Greenville, South Carolina.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Babette's Test Kitchen
Camp Nubar Baking ClassSee More
Carrot cupcakes or muffens
Rocky Road Bread
Trickle Down Tuscan ChickenSee More