- Cooking Time:
- Servings: serves 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large calf's kidneys
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/3 cup stock
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 slices stale whole grain bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ cup regular bread crumbs
- Oil for for frying
- Wash and clean the kidneys thoroughly.
- Parboil in water for 1 minute; discard water. Chop kidneys very fine.
- Sauté onions in the butter, add kidneys before the onions brown.
- Add salt and continue frying until light brown.
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and gradually add the stock.
- Cover and allow to simmer very slowly for 15 minutes.
- Add Worcestershire and pepper.
- Taste and set aside to cool.
- Cut bread slices in half; Place a heap of kidney mixture on 8 half slices of bread and cover with the other half.
- Beat the eggs in a medium bowl.
- Stand the nierenbroodjes in the bowl; baste thoroughly.
- Coat with bread crumbs.
- Fry in deep fryer at 360º - 370ºF (180ºC) and fry the savories until golden brown.
- Smaaklijk Eten!
NotesThis recipe was given to us by one of our friends who owns a Dutch restaurant in Greenville, South Carolina.
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!
Screen-to-Table Cookbook: Food in Film
Gluten Free Passover Cookbook for Jewish Celiacs at PesahSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More