- Cooking Time: 15-25
- Preparation Time:
- 2 chicken breasts(each weighing approximately 8 ounces with the peg bone, less without)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup oil (if you are frying the nuggets)
- 1 3/4 cups cracker crumbs (recommended: Ritz crackers - I used the Vegetable Herb Ritz crackers)
- dipping sauce - BBQ, honey mustard or ranch
- Cut off the chicken peg bone if there is 1, and put the chicken breasts one at a time into a freezer bag so that it lies flat.
- Bash with a rolling pin until the chicken is quite thin, and then take it out and slice into about 6 to 8 slices.
- Repeat with the other chicken breast.
- This is easiest done with scissors.
- Put the slices into a freezer bag with the buttermilk and leave in the refrigerator to marinade for up to 2 days. (Highly recommended!)
- When you are ready to cook them, heat the oil in a large frying pan, or preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Tip the cracker crumbs into a wide shallow bowl, and then shake off the excess buttermilk from the nuggets and dip them in the crumbs.
- Coat them well before lying gently in the hot oil, and cooking for about 2 minutes or so a side until they are golden brown.
- Transfer to a kitchen towel on a plate to blot the excess oil.
- Alternatively, you can lay the crumb-coated chicken nuggets on a lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- They can also be frozen once marinated and crumbed.
- If cooking from frozen, add 5 minutes to the oven cooking time.
NotesRecipe from Foodnetwork.com
"I did a test with this Ritzy Chicken Nuggets recipe. Nigella says you can marinate the chicken in buttermilk for up to 2 days, but it didn't specifically say how long she marinated them for. She also gave two options for cooking them: In a pan with oil or in the oven.
I tried marinating them for about an hour then baking. They were pretty blah. Nothing I'd make twice.
I tried marinating them for about 8 hours, then pan frying. OOOH YES. Now this is good!
I tried marinating them for 2 days, then pan frying. EVEN MORE GOOD! The chicken nuggets were so juicy and flavorful. I was in heaven. I would highly recommend serving them alongside a dipping sauce. BBQ, honey mustard and ranch all tasted great with the nuggets."