- Cooking Time: 18
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
BackstoryUnlike typical American potato salad, this one contains no mayonnaise, making it safer for serving at outdoor events during the heat of summer. To add color to the plate, serve a mound of the salad atop a thin tomato slice.
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano, or ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1½ pounds unpeeled new red potatoes, preferably new potatoes, scrubbed
- 5 cherry tomato, cut into ¼
- ½ cup coarsely chopped green onions, including green tops
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped celery
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped celery leaves
- Whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, sugar, pepper and salt in a small bowl, making certain the sugar is dissolved. Adjust the seasonings to taste. set aside to allow the flavors to blend.
- Cook the potatoes in salted boiling water until just tender, about 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and rinse with cool water, then drain again. Let cool to the touch.
- Cut the potatoes into halves; transfer them to a medium bowl. Add the tomato, green onions, and celery & leaves; toss gently. Whisk the dressing; add it to the salad and toss again. Use a slotted spoon to strain the salad for serving.
- This salad will keep for up to 2 days in a tightly closed container in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature for serving.