- Cooking Time: 40
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 30
- 2 large unpeeled eggplant, sliced 1-inch rounds
- 4 large Portabella caps, grilled or sautéed, julienne cut
- 3 large basil leaves, broken into 2 inch pieces( or 2 tbsp dried)
- 1/2 cup onions, thinly sliced in rings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp Sodium-free Herb and Onion mix (Mrs. Dash)
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese freshly grated
- 2 oz Swiss cheese, sliced, julienne cut
- 2 oz Colby Jack cheese, sliced julienne cut
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded (real refrigerated cheese)
- 6 to 8 large cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1. Spread the olive oil over a 13-inch casserole baking dish or deep rimmed baking pan.
- 2. Spread eggplant to cover the bottom. there will be little spaces in between… that’s ok
- 3. Spread the grated Parmesan cheese over the eggplant.
- 4. Scatter half of portabella strips over the eggplant. Spread remaining eggplant on dish. Place remaining portabella strips. Separate onion rings and scatter over top.
- 5. Place julienned cheese strips over dish.
- 6. Space the halved tomatoes over the dish.
- 7. Sprinkle spices over dish. Scatter the basil over the dish
- 8. Carefully pour the water along the sides of the dish. Gently tilt the dish side to side to spread water over bottom of dish. It will evaporate thru cooking and reduce the amount of oil needed to cook eggplant.
- 9. Cover with foil and bake at 350F for 30 minutes. Remove cover, bake about additional 20 minutes until cheese begins to brown.
- 10. Sprinkle the shredded Parmesan cheese evenly over the dish.
- 11. Return to oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
- 12. Remove from oven; allow to sit for 5 minutes. Using a hard rubber spatula, go around the dish freeing any sides that may be sticking to the dish.
- 13. Carefully cut into 6 pieces.
- 14. Serve hot or at room temperature.
NotesSimple way to eat pizza without the carbs
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cooking for a Cure
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy Bites
"Pretty Food" for the home ChefSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More