- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 6 cups flour
- 3 tsp. baking powder
- 2 cups butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract or desired flavoring (I like almond myself)
- 1 tsp. salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla. Mix well.
- Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture.
- Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together.
- Chill for 1 to 2 hours (or see Hint)
- Roll to desired thickness and cut into desired shapes.
- Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350
- degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges. This recipe can make up to 5-dozen 3in cookies.
NotesThis recipe is GREAT when using complex cookie cutters. The dough holds its' shape and won't spread during baking. Make sure you let your oven preheat for at least 1/2 hour before baking these or any other cookies.
HINT: Rolling Out Dough Without the Mess -- Rather than wait for your cookie dough to
chill, take the freshly made dough and place a glob between two sheets of parchment paper.
Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop
it into the refrigerator. Continue rolling out your dough between sheets of paper until you have
used it all. By the time you are finished, the first batch will be completely chilled and ready to cut. Reroll leftover dough and repeat the process! An added bonus is that you are not adding any additional flour to your cookies.