- Cooking Time: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm milk scalded, cool
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening/margarine
- 4 1/2 cup bread flour
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- for dipping
- These may be made the old fashioned way but I put all the ingredients in the bread machine on dough cycle.
- Dough will be soft to handle.
- With floured rolling pin, gently roll dough until about 1/2 inch thick, cut with floured 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
- Lift doughnuts carefully with spatula and place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush doughnuts with melted butter.
- Cover, let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately brush with melted butter and shake in sugar and cinnamon sugar or spread with glaze.
- Cinnamon sugar mixture: 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Creamy glaze: Melt 1/3 cup butter. Blend in 2 cups confectioner's sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Stir n 4 to 6 Tbsp. water, one Tbsp at a time, until melted glaze is of proper consistency.
- CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS: Omit nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in 1/2 cup cocoa with
- the first addition of flour. After baking, shake doughnuts in confectioners sugar or spread with chocolate glaze.
- APPLESAUCE DOUGHNUTS: Substitute 1 1/2 cups lukewarm applesauce for the milk. Substitute 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon cloves for the 1 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.
Recipe By: I found these on the internet and tweaked them until I got them just like I wanted them :)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Sharing Christmas with Friends
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Hungarian Beef Paprika
Fresh Tuna Tacos
RICH BLUEBERRY BARSSee More