- Cooking Time: 8-10
- Preparation Time:
Recipe By: I found these on the internet and tweaked them until I got them just like I wanted them :)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 1/2 cup lukewarm milk scalded, cool
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup shortening/margarine
- 4 1/2 cup bread flour
- Cinnamon sugar mixture
- for dipping
- These may be made the old fashioned way but I put all the ingredients in the bread machine on dough cycle.
- Dough will be soft to handle.
- With floured rolling pin, gently roll dough until about 1/2 inch thick, cut with floured 2 1/2 inch doughnut cutter.
- Lift doughnuts carefully with spatula and place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.
- Brush doughnuts with melted butter.
- Cover, let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 425°.
- Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Immediately brush with melted butter and shake in sugar and cinnamon sugar or spread with glaze.
- Cinnamon sugar mixture: 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Creamy glaze: Melt 1/3 cup butter. Blend in 2 cups confectioner's sugar and 1 1/2 tsp vanilla. Stir n 4 to 6 Tbsp. water, one Tbsp at a time, until melted glaze is of proper consistency.
- CHOCOLATE DOUGHNUTS: Omit nutmeg and cinnamon. Stir in 1/2 cup cocoa with
- the first addition of flour. After baking, shake doughnuts in confectioners sugar or spread with chocolate glaze.
- APPLESAUCE DOUGHNUTS: Substitute 1 1/2 cups lukewarm applesauce for the milk. Substitute 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon cloves for the 1 teaspoon nutmeg and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon.