- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.
- In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt.
- Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70ºF.
- Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles.
- Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice.
- Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.
- Using just enough flour to keep dough from
- sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball.
- Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal.
- Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours.
- When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when
- poked with a finger.
- At least a half-hour before dough is ready,
- heat oven to 450ºF.
- Put a 6 to 8 quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats.
- When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven.
- Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K.
- Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.
- Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours rising
- Yield: One 1½-pound loaf.
NotesI receveid this in an email from a friend on Nov 8th. I dediced that I'd better save it somewhere to try. Will be attempting it this weekend.
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Cookbook to Defy Disease and Decay - Your Prescription to an Anti-Inflammatory Life
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
The NourishFull KitchenSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More