- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time:
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 0.25 ounce packages active dry yeast
- 2 large eggs
- 6 Tablespoons butter, melted, plus more at room temp for the pan
- 6 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the dough
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onions, 1 teaspoon of the sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 15 to 18 minutes.
- Place 2 cups warm tap water (105o to 115o F) in a large bowl; sprinkle with the yeast and let stand until foamy, 4 to 5 minutes. Whisk in the eggs, 4 Tablespoons of the butter, the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the flour and three-quarters of the onions and mix until a sticky dough forms. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining tablespoon of oil . Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Butter a 9 x 13 baking pan. Punch the dough down. With well-floured hands, form the dough into 16 balls and place in the prepared pan, spacing evenly. Sprinkle with the remaining quarter of the onions. Cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400o F. Remove the plastic wrap and brush the dough with the remaining 2 Tablespoons of butter. Bake until the rolls are golden, 18 to 22 minutes (tent with foil if tops brown to quickly-I did). Cool in the pan for five minutes before serving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Taste of CenturyLink
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.See More
Edamame and Radish Slaw
Lisa Lovegood's Butterbeer Cake
Rustic Whole Wheat Garlic & Herb PizzaSee More