NO-EGG NO-SUGAR CORN BREAD
No-egg No-sugar Corn Bread
- Cooking Time: 30 plus
- Servings: 12 squares
- Preparation Time: 50 minutes to table
- 2 cups Albers Yellow Corn Meal
- 2 cups organic unbleached (but white) all purpose flour
- ½ cup Splenda
- 2 Tbs Runford baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups 2% fat cultured buttermilk
- 2/3 cup vegetable (ie soybean) oil
- 3/4 cup water + 2 Tbs of Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked smooth (and strained)
- 1 regular can of cream styled corn
- 1 and a 1/2 cup of First Street “Process Cheese Cubes: Pepper Jack” (cubes about ½ inch square) sold through Smart and Final
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees, grease 13x9 inch baking pan.
Combine cornmeal, flour, Splenda, baking powder and salt in a large mixing bowl. Combine buttermilk, oil and egg replacer in a bowl, mix well. Add milk mixture, can of corn, cheese cubes to flour mixture. Stir just until blended (I use an Asian rice paddle). Dump into baking pan.
Bake 30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean. (Splenda doesn’t brown that well).
The recipe was not a total success. Because of the overload of the cheese and the can of cream styled corn the center of the 9 x 13 pan was undercooked -- still eatible but not with the nice texture of the edge squares.
I am looking for suggestions: more cooking time at lower temperature? splitting the batch into two smaller tins? or ??