NOT YOUR USUAL CRAB CAKES!!! THESE ARE BETTER!
Not your usual Crab Cakes!!! These are better!
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 1/2 large red bell pepper finely diced (about 1/2 cup)
- This is the basic ratio for the crab part.. If you find that you want it more moist then add a bit more mayo. There's room to play with this recipe.
- 1 lb. jumbo lump crabmeat,(lightly squeezed dry in the can and picked of any excess shells)
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 heaping Tbs. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- old bay seasoning to taste
- 1 cup cornflake crumbs
- 4 Tbs. softened butter
Ok so what I do is I saute in about 2 Tbs. olive oil until softened:
1 small onion finely diced, about 3/4 cup
1/2 large red bell pepper finely diced, about 1/2 cup
Set aside to cool.
Combine in a small bowl the egg yolk, mayo, and old bay.
Gently fold the egg yolk/mayo mixture and the onion/red pepper mixture into the crab meat being careful not to break up the big lumps of crab meat.
Once you have that whole mixture together then you can use an ice cream scoop and gently form the crab "cakes" and place them on a parchment lined sheetpan.
Put in fridge for 10 minutes to set.
Meanwhile place the cornflake crumbs into a small bowl.
Take each crabcake one or two at a time and set it gently into the bowl of cornflake crumbs.
Lightly using your fingertips or a teaspoon coat the crabcake with the crumbs.
Try not to toss the crabcake too much because it may fall apart.
Gently place crabcake onto sheetpan again.
Repeat until all cakes are coated.
Place a small dot of softened butter on top of each crabcake and bake in a 375*F oven until lightly browned and heated through.
You can serve them with a stone ground mustard sauce which is just mayo, stone ground grainy mustard, a bit of lime juice, lime zest and black pepper (add salt if you think you need it.) The sauce is better made ahead and let it set in the fridge to let the flavors meld together.
OK that's it. I know its a different kind of recipe. Its not your typical fried crab cakes but its really good.