- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI decided to experiment with my usual Cooks Illustrated recipe and after 3 hours on the counter, these cookies were still soft and chewy. Now it's the only one I make.
- 2 sticks butter (1/2 pound), softened but still firm
- 1 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup vanilla sugar*
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In bowl of electric mixer, beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugars; beat until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Mix flour, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg together, then stir them into butter-sugar mixture.
- Stir in oats and nuts.
- Using the small 1 inch cookie scoop, drop onto parchment lined cookie sheets.
- Bake for 9 minutes. (Halfway during baking, turn cookie sheets from front to back and also switch them from top to bottom.)
- Cookies will be very light but golden on bottom and around edges.
- Let cookies cool on sheet 1 minute.
- Slide cookies on parchment onto cooling rack.
- *May substitute regular granulated sugar and 2 Tbsp. of vanilla extract for vanilla sugar.