- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryTake your favorite nut and make a delicious salad dressing base and/or dressing for tossing with plain greens before adding to a sandwich.
I discovered this recipe at the same time I learned to use almond and pecan "dust" mixed equally with cornmeal for my fried fish!
Try hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, etc.,
- 1½ cups of your favorite nut (unblanched, shelled and whole)
- 2 ½ cup vegetable oil divided
- Place nuts in a blender and process until chopped fine.
- Put the blender on SLOW and gradually drizzle in 1/2 cup vegetable oil.
- Once well blended but not too smooth, transfer the mixture to a small saucepan.
- Cook the mixture over low heat for about 5 minutes or until it reaches 160 degrees (use a candy thermometer). Stir it often while cooking!
- Remove from the heat and cool just a bit.
- Mix with 2 cups oil
- Cover tightly and let stand in a cool place out of the sunlight (but not in the refrigerator) for 1 to 2 weeks.
- Line a colander with several layers of cheesecloth. Pour mixture through colander and let liquid drain into a bowl. Discard the nut paste or sweeten and use as a spread on sandwiches.
- Keep strained liquid/oil in a 1 Â½ pint jar covered tightly. Store the jarred oil in the refrigerator, it is good for up to three months.