- Cooking Time: 70 minutes + cooling
- Servings: 81 servings
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryA cousin passed this quick and easy recipe on to me. We make it every Christmas and include the caramels in gift baskets to share with family and friends.
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melted milk chocolate
- Line a 9-in. square pan with foil and grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, milk and remaining butter. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a rapid boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in nuts and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely. Using foil, lift caramels out of pan; discard foil. Cut into small squares or diamonds. Drizzle each with chocolate if desired.