- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 120 minutes
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 2 cups very warm water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 6 cups flour
- corn meal
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 egg white
- Sprinkle yeast into very warm water in a large bowl. Stir until yeast dissolves.
- Stir in 3 cups of the flour, sugar, salt and shortening.
- Beat until smooth.
- Slowly beat in enough of remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured pastry cloth or board.
- Knead 5 minutes or until smooth and elastic, adding only enough extra flour to keep dough from sticking.
- Place in a greased large bowl; turning to coat all over with shortening or oil.
- Cover with a clean towel.
- Let rise in a warm place, away from draft, 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch dough down; knead 1 minute.
- Divide into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll out, each piece, to a rectangle, 6x4"; roll up, jelly roll fashion.
- Tuck under ends.
- Put loaves of a grease a large cookie sheet; sprinkle with corn meal.
- Let rise again 30 minutes, or until doubled.
- Make 3 evenly spaced diagional cuts in top of each loaf.
- Beat egg white slightly with cold water in a cup; brush this mixture over each loaf.
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- Place pan (9x13") of hot water on bottom shelf in oven.
- Place loaves on top rack of oven and bake for 15 minutes, brush with more egg white mixture and bake for 15 more minutes, until loaves are a golden color or have a hollow sound when you tap them.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Loaves can be filled with any type of filling, such as meats, cooked eggs, peanut butter, cheese, etc.
NotesI don't know if these are really Irish or not, but we made them a long time ago for a church women's luncheon and they make great sub or hoggie sandwiches. Recipe from 1974, Houston, TX
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More