- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8 scones
- Preparation Time:
- 2 1/4 c. flour
- 1/2 c. sugar
- 1/4 c. poppy seeds
- 1 tsp. cream of tartar
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. unsalted butter, chilled
- 1/4 c. orange juice
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 tsp. grated orange peel
- 1 egg mixed with 1/2 tsp. water for glaze (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Lightly butter a 10" diameter circle in center of baking sheet.
- In large bowl stir together the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, cream of tartar, baking soda and salt. Cut butter into 1/2" cubes and distribute over flour mixture. With pastry blender or two knives used scissors fashion, cut in butter 'til mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In small bowl stir together juice, egg and orange peel. Add juice mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine. The dough will be sticky.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough into an 9" circle in center of prepared baking sheet. If desired brush egg mixture over top and sides of dough. With serrated knife, cut into 8 wedges. Bake for 20-25 min. 'til top is lightly browned and cake tester or toothpick inserted in center of scone comes out clean.
- Remove baking sheet to wire rack and cool for 5 min. Using a spatula transfer scones to wire rack to cool. Re-cut wedges, if necessary. Serve warm or cool completely and store in airtight container.
Notes"The perfect accompaniment for luncheon salads."
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
HalFire: A Passion for HotWings!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal HelpingsSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More