- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Cups boiling water
- 1 Cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 Cup lukewarm spring water
- 1/2 blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 Cups flour
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and butter. Let stand 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle over the lukewarm and let stand to dissolve, 5-10 minutes. Add yeast, molasses, and salt to oatmeal mixtures and stir well. Stir in enough of the flour to make a kneadable dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Oil a bowl, add dough, and turn to coat. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Oil two 9x5 loaf pans. Punch down and divide dough and place in prepared loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- About 30 minutes in the rise, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the bread until crusty, about 35 minutes. Turn loaves out of the pans onto a wire rack to let cool.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Let's Talk Turkey! My Family's Turkey Day Feast
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14See More
Peking Style Smoked Chicken
Quick and Spicy Tomato Soup
Grilled London BroilSee More