- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 Cups boiling water
- 1 Cup quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1/2 Cup lukewarm spring water
- 1/2 blackstrap molasses
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 1/2 to 5 Cups flour
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and butter. Let stand 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle over the lukewarm and let stand to dissolve, 5-10 minutes. Add yeast, molasses, and salt to oatmeal mixtures and stir well. Stir in enough of the flour to make a kneadable dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 minutes. Oil a bowl, add dough, and turn to coat. Cover with a clean cloth and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Oil two 9x5 loaf pans. Punch down and divide dough and place in prepared loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 40 minutes.
- About 30 minutes in the rise, preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake the bread until crusty, about 35 minutes. Turn loaves out of the pans onto a wire rack to let cool.
Berks Catholic PTO Fall 2015 Recipe Auction
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3
Shrimp Recipes That Bubba Would Love (inspired by the movie Forrest Gump)See More
Teriyaki Turkey Sliders
Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
Anisette sponge cookiesSee More