- Cooking Time: 30 to 35 minutes
- Servings: 6 to 8
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 large apples, Mac's, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 Tbsp. packed dark brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp. grated fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, or halves
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup unbleached flour
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 cup large flake oats
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Preheat oven 350º.
- Prepare a 9 X 9" baking pan. Line with parchment on bottom and butter the pan well.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, add pecans and toast until golden.
- Add apples, brown sugar, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt cook, stirring often.
- When the apples are golden and tender and caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put in a small bowl and let cool.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, brown sugar and oats.
- Stir in melted butter.
- Take 1 1/2 cups of oat mixture and press evenly into bottom of prepared pan.
- Spoon filling over crust, spreading evenly.
- Crumble remaining oat mixture over filling.
- Bake bars for 30 to 35 minutes, until topping is golden brown.
- Let cool on a wire rack to room temperature, cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or overnight.
- Remove bars from baking pan, and cut into bars.
- Keep bars in an airtight container in the fridge.
NotesIn surfing around I came across these bars at Cookie Pie's blog. They are well worth making.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Grandma Helen's Amazing Kolaches
Lemon Cucumber Tofu Salad
POTATO FRITTERSSee More