- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 2/3 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup refrigerated or frozen egg product, thawed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup dried mixed fruit bits or raisins
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- Fresh raspberries (optional
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly coat a 13x9x2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl, stir together all-purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, the 2/3 cup oats, the baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the 2/3 cup brown sugar and the butter. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until well mixed. Beat in egg product and vanilla. Alternately add flour mixture and applesauce to beaten mixture, beating after each addition just until combined. Stir in fruit bits or raisins.
- Spread batter into prepared pan. In a small bowl, combine the 1/2 cup oats, the wheat germ, and the 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Sprinkle oat mixture over batter; press lightly into batter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. If desired, top each serving with raspberries
NotesI got this recipe from Diabetic Living. I am seeking diabetic friendly recipes that both my dh and I would both enjoy to eat.
This hearty oatmeal cake is perfect for dessert or a snack. The applesauce imparts flavor, moisture, and replaces some fat, making for a lower fat cake
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Fueling a Firehouse
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More