- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 c. old-fashioned oats
- 2 c. buttermilk
- 1 2/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 c. packed light brown sugar
- 2 T. vegetable oil
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 1 t. salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Zest of 1 large orange (2 oranges if you like)
- 1 1/4 c. blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
- Combine oats and buttermilk in mixing bowl.
- Cover and let stand about 30 mins.
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray muffin pan with cooking oil or use paper liners.
- Combine buttermilk mixture, flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, baking soda, salt and orange zest in second mixing bowl.
- Beat with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth (as smooth as oatmeal gets)
- Fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups , filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake 15-20 mins or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool and serve with your favorite margarine, other spread, or leave plain.
- Excellent warm or refrigerated the next day.
NotesThese muffins are the best I've ever had.
I veganized the recipe with my own no-longer-secret trick to using silken tofu. See the vegan version under "Vegetarian, Vegan" (try it, you'll love it!).
This is an astonishingly healthy recipe, with blueberries, orange zest, oatmeal and nuts, all super-foods.