- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8-12
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI made this for Paul's 19th birthday party that my Mom threw him. Everyone loved it! Top with cream cheese frosting for extra birthday sweetness.
- 1/4 c Earth Balance stick
- 1/4 c applesauce
- 3/4 c brown sugar
- 1 flax egg (3 T water + 1 T ground flax seed)*
- 2 t vanilla extract
- 1 c all purpose flour
- 1 c quick oats
- 2 t cornstarch
- 1 t baking soda
- 1/2 c (heaping) chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, using a hang mixer, beat together sugar and softened butter. Add flax mixture and vanilla and incorporate thoroughly. In a second, smaller bowl, sift together flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Gradually add, 1/3 of a cup at a time, flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture until well incorporated. Toss chocolate chips with 1 tbsp flour and fold them into the cookie dough.
- Refrigerate dough for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Once dough has chilled, press it evenly into a 9" pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F) and bake the cookie cake for 18-20 minutes. Then, to brown the top, increase the heat to 425 degrees and bake for 1-2 minutes, watching the cake closely as to not burn.
- Let cake cool before frosting, or serve as is.
- *Make flax egg and let it sit in the fridge for at least 10 minutes before adding it to the dough.