- Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 3 dozen cookies
- Preparation Time: 20 minutes
BackstoryThis is a recipe that I adapted from 'Betty Crocker's Big Red Cookbook'. The original recipe is actually called 'Oatmeal-Raisin Cookies', but I didn't have any raisins (or chopped nuts or semisweet chocolate chips), but I did have about a cup of flaked coconut, so I decided to use that instead.
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups quick-cooking or old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup raisins, chopped nuts or semisweet chocolate chips (or coconut!) (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Beat all ingredients except oats, flour and raisins in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with a spoon; stir in oats, flour and raisins (chopped nuts, chocolate chips, coconut).
- Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls about 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake 9 to 10 minutes or until light brown; immediately remove from cookie sheet to wire rack.