- Cooking Time: 10
- Preparation Time:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 cups quick oats
- 1/2 cup Pecans or walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl add the shortening, packed brown sugar and sugar. Now, you can mix this by hand if you’d like, but I really don’t like exercise. So I use a mixer. Either way, mix well until combined.
- In another large bowl, add the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir together well.
- Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture. Now find your quick oats. They’re in the pantry behind the instant mashed potatoes or the opened jar of jelly you forgot to put in the fridge. Add three cups of oats to the bowl.
- Now take a nice pile of pecans…or walnuts would work fine, too. Now chop the nuts very finely. No big chunks. Measure 1/2 cup…And pour into the bowl. Mix together well.
- Now take a sheet of waxed paper. And pour half the dough on the sheet. With your hot little hand, form the dough into a log. And wrap tightly in the waxed paper. Now it’s ready to pop into the fridge, where it will keep for several days, or into the freezer, where it’ll keep until June 30, 2573! Of course, no one in your immediate family will be able to enjoy the cookies, but if you’re not concerned about minor details like these, don’t worry about it!
- If you’d like to enjoy them sometime in your life, however, just take them out of the fridge (or freezer) and unwrap the waxed paper. With a very sharp knife, begin slicing the cold dough…Until you have as many cookies as you need. Lay them on a cookie sheet…And bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, until they’re light golden brown.
NotesFrom Pioneer Woman
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Italian Exchange
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Gluten-Free and DeliciousSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More