- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Crust & Topping:
- 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 c. quick-cooking oats
- 1 c. packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 8 Tbs. (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted & cooled slightly
- 1. For the crust: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare 9 x 9" pan (see note below).
- Whisk flour, oats. sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in bowl.
- Stir in butter until combined. Set 1 1/4 cups oatmeal mixture aside.
- Press remaining oatmeal mixture firmly into prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden brown, about 8 minutes. Cool completely.
- 2. For the filling: Whisk flour, sugar, instant coffee, and salt in a bowl.
- Melt chocolate chips and butter in large bowl; whisk in eggs, then stir in flour mixture.
- filling over cooled crust and sprinkle with reserved oatmeal mixture.
- 3. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out with few crumbs attached, 35-40 minutes. Cool to room temperature, at least 1 hour. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
- *Note* For all bar cookies, spray baking pan with cooking spray and line with aluminum foil, allowing excess to overhang pan edges. Spray foil with cooking spray. Once bar cookies have been baked and cooled, use foil overhang to lift bars from pan.
- Yield: 36 bars (All bar cookies can be refrigerated for up to 3 days)
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More