- Cooking Time: 30
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThe original recipe calls for currants, which my husband loathes. I replace them with seasonal berries, or leave them out all together. These are great plain.
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- In a large bowl, combine oats and buttermilk and let stand 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and butter twelve 1/2-cup muffin tins.
- Add egg, sugar and butter to oat mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Into another large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and add to oat mixture, stirring until just combined. Fold in currants or other berries.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tins. Bake muffins in middle of oven until golden and a tester comes out clean, about 20 minutes.