- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- 1 egg - well beaten
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or ½ tsp lemon extract
- ½ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- ½ cup nuts - chopped
- Combine egg, sugars and extract. Beat well. Add dry ingredients, beating well. Stir in shortening, oats and nuts.
- Chill dough 1 hour. Spread onto greased cookie sheet, leaving ½ inch around edges.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes. Cut into squares before cooling.
NotesThis one is my Mom's. I remember making these for her when I was barely tall enough to reach the counter.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
I'm Making Cookies! with Douglas E. Welch
GAES PTO RecipesSee More
Honey Cake (mézeskalács) As My Mother Makes
Delicious, flaky, lard-free pie crustSee More