- Cooking Time: 2 hours
- Servings: app 125 pieces
- Preparation Time: 2 hours
- 3 cups creamy peanut butter
- 1.5 sticks softened butter
- 2 lbs confectioner’s sugar
- 2 bags of chocolate chips or a tray of chocolate bark (can also mix the two)
- Cover 4 trays/cookie sheets with wax paper.
- Blend the peanut butter and butter together.
- In a power mixer, slowly add the sugar until well blended.
- Roll into small balls, and place on tray/cookie sheet.
- Place trays in freezer.
- Melt chocolate (we found a double boiler works best)
- Use a toothpick to dip ball into chocolate, leaving top uncovered to look like a buckeye nut.
- Place back on tray & remove toothpick
- Place tray back in freezer.
- Once they have been frozen for a day, feel free to move to a sealed container to avoid freezer burn
- Candy can be eaten from the freezer, or set out for up to 30 minutes. After that, they get soft, but are still yummy.
NotesI got this recipe from a post card in Ohio. We've tried several other versions, and none taste as good as this. Expensive and labor intensive, but worth it!
Also works well to take ingredients and make bars instead of rolling into buckeye shapes.
A tip: the peanut butter lasts for about a month in the freezer, so you can make the balls in advance, and then dip at a later date.