- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more for seasoning after cooked
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1/2 cup onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet with a heavy bottom (cast iron is best) over medium heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Add in the okra and onion and toss until evenly coated.
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk in a small bowl then add it to the okra mixture. Stir together until well combined.
- Working in batches, scoop 2 tablespoons fritter batter into the oil. Gently smash the mounds with the back of your spatula
- Fry until golden brown, turning once. The instructions said it would take about 4 minutes per side. That wasn't the case for me but maybe my oil was hotter than it should've been?
- Drain on a paper towel and season with salt.
- Serve warm and enjoy
NotesFried okra has always been a favorite southern dish of mine but it can be tedious to make. When I saw this recipe in Everyday Food magazine...I jumped right on it and I was not disappointed!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Thanksgiving Dinner Cookbook!
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
VivaVeganGal's Family FavoritesSee More
Holey Moley Dark Mexican Chocolate Dulce De Leche Brownies
Sweet, Salty, Frito CandySee More