- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt plus more for seasoning after cooked
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups sliced okra
- 1/2 cup onion, diced into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- Heat up the oil in a large skillet with a heavy bottom (cast iron is best) over medium heat.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.
- Add in the okra and onion and toss until evenly coated.
- Whisk together the egg and buttermilk in a small bowl then add it to the okra mixture. Stir together until well combined.
- Working in batches, scoop 2 tablespoons fritter batter into the oil. Gently smash the mounds with the back of your spatula
- Fry until golden brown, turning once. The instructions said it would take about 4 minutes per side. That wasn't the case for me but maybe my oil was hotter than it should've been?
- Drain on a paper towel and season with salt.
- Serve warm and enjoy
NotesFried okra has always been a favorite southern dish of mine but it can be tedious to make. When I saw this recipe in Everyday Food magazine...I jumped right on it and I was not disappointed!
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and Cakes
The Naked Macaron
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or PartySee More
Broccoli Chicken Casserole
SLOW COOKER BBQ COUNTRY RIBS
TUNA PARFAIT ON JAPANESE SWEET POTATO TEMPURA AND TEMPURA GREEN ONIONS WITH SAKE SOY GLAZESee More