- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1/2 pound okra
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Wash and drain the okra.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes, until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the bell pepper and chopped tomatoes.
- Add in the coriander, all spice, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Cook together for a few more minutes.
- In a separate cup or bowl, mix together the tomato sauce and water and pour into pot.
- Add in the lemon juice and cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the okra and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and let gently simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rice.
NotesThis dish is inspired by a recent trip I took to Turkey. This is our remake of a popular, regional Southern Turkish okra stew.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Decadent Desserts Made From
VivaVeganGal's Family Favorites
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Tabouleh (Cracked Wheat/Cucumber Salad)
Annie's Strawberry Dessert
Old Fashioned GingerbreadSee More