- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 2-4
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1/2 pound okra
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups water
- Wash and drain the okra.
- Heat olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for about 2-3 minutes, until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add the bell pepper and chopped tomatoes.
- Add in the coriander, all spice, cinnamon, pepper and salt. Cook together for a few more minutes.
- In a separate cup or bowl, mix together the tomato sauce and water and pour into pot.
- Add in the lemon juice and cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the okra and stir to combine.
- Cook uncovered on medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and let gently simmer for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve with bread or rice.
NotesThis dish is inspired by a recent trip I took to Turkey. This is our remake of a popular, regional Southern Turkish okra stew.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pies, wonderful pies! Both sweet and savoury.
KITCHEN CAUCUS Liberal Helpings
Angel Acres Super Scrumptious Cookie Recipes!See More
Aunt Kiki’s Enchilada Casserole
Chicken Cauliflower Power Soup
Coconut MacaroonsSee More