- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb butter (2 cups)
- 1 lb sifted cake flour (4 cups)
- 10 eggs, separated
- 1 lb sugar (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Cream butter, work in flour until mixture is mealy.
- Beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until thick and fluffy.
- Add first mixture gradually, beating thoroughly.
- Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites.
- Beat vigorously 5 minutes.
- Bake in 2 loaf pans line with waxed paper, in a moderately slow oven (325' f) 1 1/4 hrs.
- Makes 2 loaves (8x4 inches)
NotesPublished in 1938, in a book called The American Woman's Cookbook, I figure if if they called this pound cake old fashioned back then....it must be ancient now!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Italy or Bust
Desperate Housewives: Juicy Dishes & Saucy BitesSee More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More