- Cooking Time: 60
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time:
- * 5 pounds McIntosh or Macoun apples
- * Grated zest of 1 orange
- * Grated zest of 1 lemon
- * 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- * 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- * 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- * 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- * 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- For the topping:
- * 1 1/2 cups flour
- * 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- * 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- * 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- * 1 cup oatmeal
- * 1/2 pound cold unsalted butter, diced
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9 by 14 by 2-inch oval baking dish.
- Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
- To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas. Scatter evenly over the apples.
- Place the crisp on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly. Serve warm.
NotesI found this recipe on the Food Network website