- Cooking Time: 35 to 40
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup water (or substitute water with 1 cup cold brewed coffee)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan. (We used three 9-inch round cake pans)
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the eggs, coffee, milk, oil and vinegar.
- Mix until smooth, batter will be thin. Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool.
NotesMy mom recently made this for my step-father for his 54th birthday. From what I've read, you can substitute buttermilk if a baking recipe calls for milk -- which is exactly what she did. Buttermilk tends to give baked goods a better flavor and texture than milk.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Simple Homemade Favorites
Easy Homemade Salad DressingsSee More
Dad's favorite peanut brownies!See More